ACTIVITIES OF ACADEMIC YEAR 2016-2017
- In connection with World Environment Day celebration a poster exhibition was conducted on 13-06-2016.
- Blood donors’ forum of Biotechnology Dept. in association with NSS unit, St. Mary’s college and IMA conducted voluntary blood donation camp on 10th June 2016 in connection with Blood Donors Day.
- A new venture, ‘Know Your Blood Type’ was started by the department of Biotechnology to identify the blood groups of staff and students of St. Mary’s college from 14-06-2016. It is a paid service offered by the department as an extension programme. Those who are interested in recognizing their blood groups can contact the concerned staff on every Friday from 2.30 pm- 3.00 pm.
- Students of IInd MSc. Biotechnology attended a talk on Stem Cell biology by Dr. Andrew Hopkinson, the Principal Research Fellow, University of Nottingham and CEO, NuVision conducted at St. Joseph’s College on 27-06-2016.
- A tour programmefor IInd MSc. Biotechnology to Nelliampathy and Malampuzha was conducted on 29-06-2016.
- In connection with Vanmahotsav celebrations, an essay competition on ‘Vast Modernization vs Environment’ was conducted on 12th July 2016. Neelima N, IInd year BSc. Biotechnology has won the first prize.
- On July 28th, World Hepatitis Day was observed by conducting an awareness talk by Dr. Sheeja N. A, Jr. Administrative Medical Officer, DMO (H), Thrissur on “ What I know more about Hepatitis A ??????? ”.
- The Department of Biotechnology participated in the Karunardram programme by offering food packets for the poor on 26th August 2016.
- The association activities of the Department of Biotechnology for the academic year 2016-17, was officially inaugurated by Dr. Viji, M. O. (Sr. Floweret ), Assistant Professor, St. Joseph’s College, Irinjalakuda on 30th August 2016. The chief guest also delivered a talk on “Phytochemical analysis of invitro and invivo generated medicinal plants”.
- Entry level test for first year degree students were conducted on 30th August 2016.
- In connection with ozone day celebrations, Department of Biotechnology conducted a dance drama on 28th September.
- Department of Biotechnology observed Alzheimer’s day on 30th September by an awareness talk on Alzheimer’s and related disorders by Mr. Sureshkumar O. P, KSID, Thrissur.
- As a part of World Habitat Day, to promote the idea of decent habitats for plants, animals and birds, the 3rd year students ofBiotechnology department was taken for a visit to natural habitats like Bhoothathankettu reserve forest and Thattekad Bird sanctuary.
- A Gender Sensitization Programme with an awareness talk on “Diet & Nutrition for Young Women” by Ms. Cindin John, Nutritionist and Dietitian, Elite Mission Hospital, Thrissur was conducted on November 10th.
- In connection with the World Nutrition Day-2016, the Department organized an exhibition on various health products of Wellness Diet, Pvt Ltd on 10th November 2016. The products included green coffee powder, Aloo health plus, Smart balance rice, smart balance pulses, Well bran oil, Well fresh green tea, etc.
- An informative talk on “Food Today- Myth & Facts” by Mr. A. Sasidharan, Managing director, Wellness diet (P) Ltd on 10th November 2016. He explained various myths on different foods used today.
- The Department of Biotechnology conducted the Haritha Keralam programme on December 8th, 2016. The programme was conducted in accordance with the instruction of Government of Kerala. All the second year degree students participated actively in the mission by cleaning all the areas in and around the Biotechnology lab.
- To commemorate World AIDS Day, the Department of Biotechnology conducted various awareness programmes like Flashmob and poster exhibition. The flashmob conveyed the message of standing in solidarity with the people who have become infected with HIV and remember those who have died from AIDS-related illnesses since the first cases of HIV were reported.
- The Blood Donor’s forum of Department of Biotechnology and NSS Unit of St. Mary’s college in collaboration with Indian Medical Association organized a voluntary blood donation camp on 23rd January, 2017. 35 members voluntarily donated their blood in the camp.
- As a part of the Departmental extension activities, Ms. Jasni V.A (II MSc. Biotechnology) and Ms. Aiswarya K. J (I MSc. Biotechnology) took classes on the Principles and Application of Biotechnology for Plus One students of Model Girls Higher Secondary School, Thrissur on 13th January 2017.
- In connection with National Science Day celebrations 2017, Department of Biotechnology with the sponsorship and support of KSCSTE and Department of Science and Technology organized various programmes from 16-2-2017 to 28-2-2017. Programmes included various competitions like essay writing, painting, poster making and elocution.
- For creating awareness among the students about the differently abled, field visits were arranged to ‘Ephphatha’, Speech and Hearing Centre, Punkunnam, Thrissur and to ‘Reach-Swasraya’, Centre for Differently Abled, Kuttur, Thrissur on 17-2-2017.
- The series of lectures started on 22-2-2017 by Dr. E. Jayadevi Variyar (Assistant Professor, Sr. Sc., Kannur University). She explained the role of biotechnology in improving the life of differently abled and gave details on various techniques like stemcell therapy and CRISPR technology used in gene therapy. On 27th February 2017, Dr. P. Bhanumathi, Founder of AMHA (Association for Mentally Handicapped Adults, Thrissur) and Dr. Manju Thomas Poonolil (Audiologist and Speech pathologist, Ephphatha, Punkunnam) gave talks on the importance and use of science and innovative technologies for the betterment of differently abled people.
- The documentary exhibiting various gadgets and innovative technologies used for improving the lifestyle of specially abled persons was inauguarated by Dr. Sr. Marriette A. Therattil, Principal, St. Mary’s College, Thrissur on 28-2-2017. After documentary screening a flash mob was performed by Ist and IInd BSc. Biotechnology students highlighting the focal theme of National Science Day.
ACTIVITIES OF ACADEMIC YEAR 2015-2016
- Teachers attended orientation programme
- Conducted a puzzle competition(Ecoriddles) in accordance with world environmental day
- CV camp for MSc 1st & 3rd sem attended by Dr.Krishna K Yathi
- Our B.Sc &MSc students were taken for industrial visit to SCMS Neera plant Cochin
- Life guidance programme for BSc. final years was conducted by the college
- BSc 2nd year students Blessy and Ann Fernandez presented a paper on Population a boon or bane held at Vimala college by the NSS unit
- BSc 2nd years were left for study leave
- BSc 1st years classes started. Smt.Saritha Francis took charge as the tutor
- Dr.Krishna K yathi attended the board meeting for the practical exams held at St.Josephs college,Iringalakuda
- Induction course for 1st DC was conducted by Sarith Francis
- Smt. Sana Narayan went as external examiner for practical exam, complimentary to St.Josephs College, Irinjalakuda.
- Smt.Sana Narayan accompanied the students of III year B.Sc. Biotechnology for the implementation of Swachh Bharat Mission .
- Entry level exam for B.Sc first year students were conducted
- M.Sc third semester students attended one week workshop conducted by Sahrdaya College of Engineering & Technology, Thrissur.
- The department of biotechnology participated actively in the Marian Fest conducted on September 3 rd. We had various stalls like Mehendi designing and creative exhibition by our students, and sponsored stalls by Kudumbashree units, exhibition and sale of glass painting, oil painting, clay modelings etc. The staff also organized food stall.
- Freshers day and Teachers day were celebrated.
- Deparment of Microbiology and Biotechnology jointly organized an Invited Lecture by Dr. John Anto Pulikkan, Post-Doctoral Associate, Massachusetts Medical School, United States On From Basic science to drug discovery: Development of small molecule inhibitor in blood cancer And “Academic opportunities abroad"
- PTA general body meeting and department meeting was conducted on September 9
- Practical exams and project viva for M.Sc fourth semester from September 10 to 12.
- Smt. Deepika and Smt Rajitha M escorted our final year students for tour to Wayanad, Mysore and Ooty on 23 rd.They returned on 27th morning.
- Ancy Antony of third semester M.Sc represented the Department for YUVA MASTERMIND conducted by Malayala Manorama.
- Alzheimers day was celebrated by the department on September 28th, various memory enhancing competitions were conducted.
- September 29, Nehala of second B.Sc participated in the Chess competition.
- September 30, Neelima of I DC Biotechnology participated in the essay writing competition conducted by NSS at DMO office, Thrissur.
- 6-9 - CV camp for second semester B.Sc impvt/supp was attended by Smt. Deepika V
- 12 - Blood donors forum of the department was introduced to the first years of the college
- 9- PTA meeting of fifth semester B.Sc was conducted
- 17- The department association was inaugurated by Dr. Anisha S Assistant professor St. Alberts college cochin. It was followed by a talk on DNA and RNA: The way to a better human life for future
ACTIVITIES OF ACADEMIC YEAR 2014-15
- Conducted a quiz competition in accordance with world environmental day
- June 26th and 27th Smt. Neethu. R, Smt. Ann Mary and M.Sc. Biotechnology students attended the 2 day Lecture work shop "Prospectus and adavances in Biotechnology" at St. Joseph’s College Irinjalakuda.
Inflipnet orientation programme
22nd July, parents of new admission batch visited the department.
July 25th Smt. Neethu. R did oral presentation at the two day UGC national seminar conducted by the chemistry department of St. Mary’s college.
Started Monsoon Fest rehearsals
The department of biotechnology participated actively in the Monsoon Fest conducted on 1st and 2nd of August. We had various stalls like Mehendi designing and creative exhibition by our students, and sponsored stalls by Kudumbashree units, Twinkle boutique and Fashion Academy where our Alumnae were also involved. We got sponsorships from Exotica Polymers, KINS clinic and Sobha Developers. Our students secured IInd prize in Umbrella Dance and Monsoon Colours fashion show, followed by. Aishwarya our final year student actively participated as the RJ.
Started making new batch of vermicompost
Conducted entry level test for first years.
Our final year B.Sc students were taken for industrial visit and a one day seminar to SCMS Cochin 0n 8th of August, by 3 of our staff, Smt. Ann Mary Joseph, Smt. Krishna and Smt. Deepika.
Our department Association was inaugurated by Dr. Ramanathan T, on 11th of August from Annamalai University followed by a talk on “Bioprospecting of marine bioresources with special reference to coastal flora”
Third semester M. Sc stdents rejoined after exam.
3 teachers went as external examiners for B.Sc and M.Sc. Practical exams.
Conducted farewell function of M.Sc final year students on 1st September
Aiswarya M was elected in parliamentary election as college chairperson
We celebrated world ozone day by conducting an elocution competition on on the topic “Advances in technology to prevent ozone depletion.” On 17th of September.
Smt. Neethu Paul and Smt. Krishna accompanied the students of 1st year B.Sc. Biotechnology for the implementation of Swachh Bharat Mission as a part of CSS on October 2nd.
Our M,Sc. Freshers joined on 6th and Smt. Broony Maria joined the department as their class incharge
Smt. Deepika and Smt Julie Joseph (Dept. of Statistics) escorted our final year students for tour to Mysore and Coorg on 7th. They returned on 10th morning.
Fine arts festival commenced from 13th to 17th of October. Our students actively participated in the competitions.
Fine arts club in association with literary club celebrated “Vayalar Anusmaranna dhinam” by reciting his famous works and film songs on 28th.
Our department conducted Blood Donor’s forum Awareness classes on 29th of October.
Cleaned plastics from a part of Thekkinkaadu ground as a part of CSS implementing Prime minister’s Swachh Bharath Yojna.
We conducted a career giudance and pre-placement talk, followed by primary screening for recruitment by VWR, Coimbatore.
Talk on 6th November, by Raajan Nair, IMA administrative officer, on the topic "Blood transfusion and its importance in contemporary society"
ACTIVITIES OF ACADEMIC YEAR 2012-13
VISIT TO KERALA FOREST RESEARCH INSTITUE (KFRI), PEECHI.
Our final year B. Sc. Students had their industrial visit to KFRI, to the biotechnology laboratory, on 19th of July, 2013, as a part of our curriculum. Plant biotechnology laboratory and techniques were well explained by Dr. Muraleedharan. He enlightened the importance of plant tissue culture/ micropropogation of bamboos for phytoremediation and how RET (Rare-endangered- threatened) varieties can be protected. The molecular biology lab was described by Dr. T. B. Suma, on various techniques. She delivered a small session on importance of molecular markers, polymorphism in Tectona species and also about scope of biotechnology. This helped to cultivate interest of students, towards research.
The 34 students were accompanied by 2 teachers, Ms. Neethu. R and Smt. Angel Kunnath. The students saw many rare plants in the institute and were overwhelmed by the scenic beauty of the campus.
Ms. Neethu. R , gave the bridge course for the first semester B.Sc. students, on 15.07.2012, Monday, at the seminar hall, from 12:30 pm to 1:30 pm.
The bridge courses are being designed to overcome the consequent practical problems by filling the information gap about the course. The bridge to biotech provides a rigorous and engaging introduction to biotechnology. We used to give a brief introduction about the theory and practicals of the subject to the first year students. Since they are not much aware of the subject, this course will help them to under stand about the course and thereby improve their performance. Every year with in first or second week after their admission we used to take our students to an industry or an institute to make them aware of the application of the subject in the society.
FACULTY SEMINARS ATTENDED
The seminar on Media pedagogy: perspectives and Proceedings, was conducted at Vimala College, Thrissur, by Dr. Senthilnathan, from Bharathidasan university. Ms. Neethu. R from our department, attended the seminar, which was interesting. The seminar included basics on including technology in teaching, like using presentations, creating blogs/websites by teachers. He also gave informations on education satellites and channels, podcasts by different universities and so on.
FRESHERS DAY CELEBRATIONS
Freshers day was celebrated in the jubilee hall, on 25th of July. Our final year and second year degree students gave a dazzling dance performance. The crowd really enjoyed the performance.
ROSALIND FRANKLIN: 93RD BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS.
Our department celebrated the 93rd birthday of Rosalind Franklin on 26th of July, 2013, at the seminar hall from 12:30 pm to 1:30 pm. Our students were given a talk by Ms. Neethu. R on behalf of the department, on the life history, research work, and controversies of her life.
DEPARTMENT ASSOCIATION INAUGURATION.
The departmental association activities were inaugurated by Dr. Manish Kumar, Scientist and head of the department of the biotechnology department, Calicut university, on 4.09.2013, Wednesday, from 10:30am to 1:00pm, at the Jubilee hall, in the presence of our vice principal Rev.Sr.Mareena, head of the department Smt.Diana Kallarackal, teachers and students. The inaugural address by Dr. Manish was followed by a talk on “DNA- past and present”. The talk was based on the concept of how important is DNA for human sustenance and all the modern and sophisticated techniques, in various fields like research, forensic, medicine. He also mentioned various interesting case studies that had happened in the world, where DNA was the only evidence! The talk was followed by an interactive session, where students participated actively.
EXHIBITION- “TASTE OF HEALTH: UNDERSTANDING ANTIOXIDANTS”
The Department of Biotechnology, organized an intercollegiate-multidisciplinary exhibition on the topic, “Taste of health: Understanding antioxidants” on Tuesday, 10th of September, 2013, from 9:00am to 3:30pm, in the Jubilee hall, St. Mary’s College, Thrissur. Our exhibition was inaugurated by Sr. Mareena, vice principal and all the staff and students of the college participated in our program. The exhibition was telecasted on the local channel (TCV). The objective of the exhibition is to provide an opportunity to create awareness about the importance of antioxidants and its role for a healthy life style, the source of which is only fruits and vegetables. We presented various rare and exotic fruits and vegetables. We had participants from Vimala College (Home science and zoology departments) and Shakthan Thampuran College.
WORLD AIDS DAY AWARENESS PROGRAMME
The department of Biotechnology organized World AIDS day awareness programme, on 2nd December. Our department conducted quiz competition, Poster making competition and collage competition in the morning session. The winners of the quiz competition were, send to the final round of quiz conducted by KACS (Kerala AIDS Control Society). The afternoon session started with a talk by Smt. Rose, ICTC Counselor, Thrissur district Hospital. It was an eye opening talk on various pros and cons regarding AIDS, as well as the social stigma towards this disease.
On 3rd December, our students did a “Flash mob”, carrying message against discrimination towards the infected people.
List of winners of various competitions.
i. Athira.M .R & Aleena Babu (B.Sc. Microbiology)
ii. Shared by Nasma Ummer & Irine Maria (B.Sc. Biotechnology) and Roshni Poulose &Anju. P. Biju (B.Sc. Microbiology)
iii. Shared by Nijiya.V .V &Basila. K. P (B.Sc. Biotechnology) and Jofeena Joy & Navia Sebastian (M.Sc. Biotechnology)
POSTER MAKING COMPETITION
i. Jwala. P. Prem (IInd B.Sc. Botany)
ii. Evelyn Maria (IIIrd B.Sc. Biotrechnology)
iii. Varsha Jayan (Ist B. A. English)
i. Jwala. P. Prem (IInd B.Sc. Botany)
ii. Rithu. C. P (IIIrd B.Sc. Biotrechnology)
iii. Evelyn Maria (IIIrd B.Sc. Biotrechnology)
CSS CAMP AT CHIYYARAM ST.MARYS HIGHER SECONDARY SCHOOL
The final year B. Sc. students and Ms. Neethu. R, went for the Compulsory social Service to provide classes for camp students of 5th, 6th and 7th standard, on 7th December, Saturday, on science subjects. It was a very interactive class and the kids as well enjoyed the classes. We presented posters regarding AIDS, Science facts and importance of blood donation
PARTICIPATED IN THE COLLEGE RESEARCH FORUM ACTIVITIES.
Smt. Angel Kunnath and Ms. Neethu.R, participated in the research forum activities by presenting their research experience at various CSIR institutes in India on December 6th Friday.
BLOOD DONATION CAMP IN COLLABORATION WITH IMA
The department organized a blood donation camp at the college jubilee hall on 28th January 2014, in collaboration with the Indian Medical Association. Nearly 54 people donated blood. Along with it blood grouping and Haemoglobin count analysis was ensured before the blood was taken.
M.Sc. BIOTECHNOLOGY RESULTS OUT
The 2011-2013 M.Sc. batch topper was SreeLakshmi Menon.