St.Mary’s College, the pioneer First Grade College for women in the District, affiliated of the University of Calicut is situated in the heart of Thrissur, the cultural capital of Kerala. It was established in 1946 and is administered by the CMC Educational Society under the Nirmala Province of the Congregation of the Mother of Carmel (CMC) in the Roman Catholic Church. The College is re-accredited with ‘A’ Grade by National Assessment Coucil (NAAC) in 2010.
The Sisters of the Congregation of the Mother of Carmel entered the field of Higher Education in 1946 with the inception of St. Mary’s College, Thrissur. It soon grew into a full-fledged First Grade College with two Post Graduate courses in Economics and English Literature. In 1964, Mercy College was started in Palakkad which now caters to thousands of students in a town backward in literacy. In 1967 St. Mary’s was bifurcated, the Pre-Degree section remaining in Thrissur and the Under-Graduate and Post-Graduate sections being shifted to Vimala College, Cheroor. In 1975, the Colleges under the Management were registered as a society, viz, “CMC Educational Society” under the Travancore-Cochin Literary, Scientific and Charitable Societies’ Registration Act XII. In 1981, Carmel College has been started in Mala under the same Management. All the four colleges are functioning quite successfully and smoothly maintaining a high standard in academic and non-academic matters. After the trifurcation of the Management in 1987, St. Mary’s and Vimala Colleges are still under the CMC Educational Society, Thrissur which has a creditable history in the field of Education.
St. Mary’s once again regained its status as a First Grade College in 1979 with the starting of BA and BSc courses. Post-graduate courses in Mathematics and History were introduced in 1995 and 1998 respectively. In 1998, delinking of the Pre-Degree courses was started and was completed in 2001.
Meanwhile, degree courses in Polymer Chemistry (1999), Biotechnology (2000), Microbiology (2001) and BCA (2001) wereintroduced. PG courses in Microbiology, Biotechnology and Computer Science were started in 2002, 2003 and 2004 respectively.
National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), an autonomous body of the University Grants Commission (UGC) has accredited the College, at the B+ level in 2004 and re-accredited with ‘A’ Grade in 2010. The College celebrated her Diamond Jubilee in 2006.