St. Mary’s College, the pioneer First Grade College for women in the District, affiliated to the University of Calicut is situated in the heart of Thrissur, the cultural capital of Kerala.
It was established in 1946 with the affiliation of Madras University and administered by the CMC (Congregation of the Mother of Carmel) sisters of Nirmala Province in the Roman Catholic Church of Thrissur Archdiocese. It soon grew into a full-fledged First Grade College with two Post-Graduate courses in Economics and English Literature. In 1964, Mercy College was started in Palakkad, a town backward in literacy, under the same Management. In 1967, St. Mary’s was bifurcated, the Pre-Degree section remaining in Thrissur and the Under-Graduate and Post-Graduate sections being shifted to Cheroor and finally became a new First Grade College, viz, Vimala College.
In 1975, the Colleges under the Management were registered as a society, viz, “CMC Educational Society” under the Travancore-Cochin Literary, Scientific and Charitable Societies’ Registration Act XII. In 1979, with the commencement of degree courses, St. Mary’s once again regained its status as a First Grade College. In 1981, Carmel College was started in Mala under the same Management. All the four Colleges are functioning quite successfully, and smoothly maintaining a high standard in academic and non-academic matters.
In 1987, the Management was trifurcated, and St.Mary’s and Vimala Colleges remain under the CMC Educational Society, Thrissur, which has a creditable history in the field of education.
Due to the de-linking of the Pre-Degree courses from 1998 to 2001, the College started more degree and post-graduate courses for the benefit of the local community. The Diamond Jubilee of the College was celebrated in 2006. The National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), an autonomous body of the University Grants Commission (UGC), has accredited the College at the B+ level in 2004 and re-accredited with ‘A’ Grade in 2010. In 2012 Dept. of Mathematics was recognised as Research Centre by University of Calicut. The College is now successfully running with full-fledged departments offering 14 Under Graduate and 10 Post Graduate courses along with one doctoral programme
- Sanction to start the College by University of Madras
- Blessing of the College building by Rt. Rev. Dr. George Alappatt
- College starts functioning with Degree courses in Mathematics and Economics, and Intermediate for Science and History
- First Principal - Sr. Mary Patience.
- Formal Inauguration of the College by Sri. George Boag, the Diwan of Cochin.
- First College Day Celebration - Presided by Sri. V.K. Nandana Menon, the Vice-Chancellor of the Travancore University.
- Inauguration of the Social Service League by Smt. Kuttimaluamma
- Visit of Sri. G. Sankara Kuruppu, Mahakavi and First Jnanapeetam Award Winner.
- Forty cents of adjacent land given on lease by the Goverment.
- First Holy Mass at the newly built Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes.
- Appointment of Sr. Annunciata as the Principal.
- Visit of His Excellency Martin Lucas, Inter-Nuncio.
- Address of Mr. Macallister of American Information Service to the students.
- Visit of His Eminence Cardinal Tisserant, Secretary of the Sacred Oriental Congregation, Vatican.
- First Mock Parliament on the model of the Union Legislative Assembly.
- Introduction of Degree Course in Botany
- Lecture on “Bhoodan Yatra” by Ikkanda Warrier, former Minister of Cochin.
- Smt. Indira Gandhi’s visit to the College for collecting Assam Flood Relief Fund.
- Celebration of ‘Keralapiravi’ - Chief Guest K.S. Menon, the District Collector.
- Inauguration of the various Associations by Dr. John Mathai, the Vice-Chancellor of Kerala University
- Address of His Excellency Mr. B. Ramakrishna Rao
- Visit of B. Chowdari, Information Secretary, BSS.
- Affiliation of the College to Kerala University.
- Inauguration of the Creche unit at Nadathara by Mrs. John Mathai, Chairperson of Central Social Welfare Board.
- Visit of His Eminence Valerian Cardinal Gracious.
- Introduction of BSc Courses in Physics and Chemistry.
- Constructed a new hostel at Cheroor
- Visit of Mr. L.A. Hill, Chief Educational Officer of the British Council
- Introduction of B.Sc. Course in Zoology.
- Address of Dr. K.C.K.E. Raja, the Vice-Chancellor of the Kerala University.
- The College Day Celebration presided by His Excellency Sri. V.V. Giri, the Governor of Kerala .
- Address by Mr. Robert R. Klein, Audio Visual Officer, American Information Service.
- • Introduction of PG Courses in Literature and Economics.
- Chief Minister’s Trophy for collection of the highest amount for the Defence Fund in the State.
- Ms. Rita Francis represents Kerala in the 8th Inter University Youth Festival at New Delhi.
- Starting of the Mercy College, Palakkad under the same Management
- Visit of Manning Hawthome, the grandson of Nathaniel Hawthome and Rev. Fr. Senan Buckly OCD of Ireland
- Address by Swami Rangananda.
- Foundation stone for the Auditorium laid
- Music Programme of Sri. K.J. Yesudas to raise fund for Auditorium.
- Bifurcation of Colleges - St. Mary’s and Vimala
- Shifting of the Graduate and Post Graduate sections to Vimala College
- Visit of Cardinal Maximillian De Furstenberg, Prefect of the Sacred Congregation of Oriental Churches.
- Address by Padmabhushan Dr. A.C. Modi.
- College - under the jurisdiction of the University of Calicut.
- Inauguration of various Assocations by Prof. Syed Mohideen Shah, Dean of the faculty of Arts, Calicut University.
- Silver Jubilee celebration of the College
- Inauguration of Jubilee Memorial Marian Kudumbakshema Paddhati by His Grace Joseph Cardinal Parekkattil
- Inauguration of Housing Scheme by Sri K.P. Kesava Menon
- College Day celebration presided by Hon. Minister A.C. George
- Secured Prem Nasir Rolling Trophy in the All Kerala Cultural Meet.
- Nritha Madhuri, a dance programme by students of our College at Town Hall to raise fund for Housing Scheme.
- Inauguration of the N.S.S. Unit by Prof. V.J. Pappu, PVC, Cochin University.
- Blessing of 25 houses for poor families of Nadathara Village.
- Starting of a Day Care Centre for the infants of working women at Nadathara.
- Sri. Baby John, Minister for Revenue - the Chief Guest on Guardians’ Day.
- Demise of the Ist Principal Sr. Mary Patience.
- Acquisition of the adjacent plot across the road.
- Sr. Lima appointed as new Principal
- A Garment making unit - sanctioned by the Central Social Welfare Board.
- “The Marian Voice” won the Ist Prize award for the Best Magazine of Junior Colleges of Calicut University.
- Introduction of B.A. History Course - College upgraded as First Grade
- Sr. Bianca appointed as Principal.
- B.A. Economics & B.Sc. Mathematics Courses introduced
- Starting of Carmel College at Mala.
- Installation of Inter-com system by P.T.A.
- Appointment of Sr. Philo as Principal.
- Panampilly Memorial Shield for the best result in PDC.
- Radhika Ramachandran - ‘University Prathibha’.
- Pre-Degree result - Ist place in the University
- Sr. Felicita appointed as Principal.
- Blessing of new Library & Reading Room by Rt. Rev. Dr. Joseph Kundukulam; Inauguration by Sri. P.J. Joseph, Hon. Minister for Revenue.
- Dance performance in the World Malayalee Conference at Berlin by Kalathilakam of the University, Ms. Kala Baby Thottam.
- Trifurcation of the College Management - Palakkad, Irinjalakuda and Thrissur.
- Ms.Kala Baby Thottam nominated to the Senate by the Vice Chancellor.
- Lecture on Recent Trends in Western Literary Criticism by Prof. R. Viswanathan, Reader in English, University of Calicut.
- Participation of Ms. Jincy M. Jose, NSS Volunteer in Republic Day Parade at Delhi.
- An audio Cassette ‘Divyadhwani’ released - lyricised by Prof. Mary Kunhu of Malayalam Department.
- Hosting of the first All Kerala Women’s Conference on Blood Donation
- Appointment of Dr. Sr. Pastor as Principal.
- Diploma course in Computer Application started.
- Introduction of B.Sc. Course in Botany.
- Ms. Jeffy Joy won Gold Medal in All India Inter-University Aquatic Championship.
- Appointment of Sr. Lucia as Principal.
- Ms.Teenu Thomas crowned as ‘Kalathilakam'.
- Introduction of PG Course in Mathematics.
- Golden Jubilee celebrations - Chief Guest - Sri P. Shiv Shankar Governor of Kerala, Sri. A.K. Antony, Chief Minister, Sri. K. Karunakaran, M.P.
- Blessing of Jubilee Memorial Seminar Hall by His Eminence Achile Cardinal Sylvestrini.
- Giving away of Seven newly built houses to seven poor families.
- Dr. Sr. Sobel appointed as Principal
- Demise of Sr. Lima, former Principal
- Golden Jubilee Celebration of Independence. Freedom Fighter and Social Worker Smt. Kochukutti Amma was honoured.
- Ms.Usha M. represented India at the Asian Pacific Aquatic Meet, Taiwan and came out victorious.
- A multimedia computer installed in the library - inauguration by His Grace Mar Jacob Thoomkuzhi, Archbishop of Thrissur.
- Ms. Sangeetha K.K. (PDC) won Bravery Award from Rashtrapathy.
- ‘Freedom Fiftieth Year’ Memorial House for a poor widow by National Service Scheme.
- Dr. Sr. Alphonse Betsy appointed as Principal.
- Introduction of M.A. History.
- Beginning of the de-linking process of Pre-Degree courses from the College.
- Introduction of B.Sc. Polymer Chemistry.
- Won Calicut University aggregate Trophy for Sports & Games.
- Release of “Yugapratheeksha” an Audio & Video cassette of different dance forms of Kerala on Biblical theme lyricised by Dr. P.G. Parvathy, former student & staff member.
- Introduction of B.Sc. Biotechnology
- Prathibha Day - Chief Guest Alexander Jacob, IPS
- Introduction of BCA & B.Sc. Microbiology.
- Construction of Kuriakose Elias Relaxation Bower
- NCC Cadet Ms. Divya T.V. got selection for the Republic Day Parade in New Delhi.
- Ms.Remya V won the Individual Championship in All india Inter- University Aquatic Championship.
- Ms. Ambili G. & Aswathi Reghunath represented India in Power Lifting at Taipai and Ambili created new World Record in Dead Lift.
- Introduction of P.G. Course in Microbiology
- Community Aid and Sponsorship Programme (CASP) - started in collaboration with Rajagiri College of Social Science, Kalamassery,
- Sr. Philo James appointed as Principal
- Beginning of M.Sc. Bio-technology course.
- Ms. Remya V. represented India in SAAF Games in 2004 at Pakistan.
- Ms. Alby Thomas represented Kerala AICUF in the World Social Forum.
- NAAC Peer Team visit, accredited at the B+ level.
- Introduction of M.Sc. Computer Science.
- Dr. Marykunhu K.K. secured the Best Teacher Award (Malayala Manorama - AIR INDIA BOLT Award).
- Ms. Dally Ignatius of III Economics, the AICUF National Convenor represented India in PAN - ASIA - PACIFIC at Malaysia.
- Silver Jubilee Celebrations of Mathematics Department.
- BI. Chavara Bi-Centenary celebrations.
- Expiry of Rev. Sr. Annunciata, former Principal.
- Dr. Sr. Jesme appointed as Principal.
- Diamond Jubilee Celebrations of Economics Dept.
- Series of Jubilee Talk Shows: Justice B. Sreedevi, Prof. P.C. Thomas, Dr.D. Babu Paul IAS and Smt. Vinaya
- B.A. Economics, B.Sc. Botany, M.A. History and M.Sc. Maths Permanent Affiliation to the Calicut University.
- Demise of Dr. Sr. Sobel, the former Principal.
- Valedictory of Diamond Jubilee Year celebrations.
- Organised the National Book Exhibition - 2006
- Held Kerala History Exhibition - ‘Pazhamayum Puthumayum’
- Mother Euphrasia and Arch Bishop Mar Thoomkuzhy Scholarship awarded to 20 students
- Dr. Sr. Jesme received ‘T.A. Mathias Award for College Principals’ for Innovative Administration
- Ms. Manusha M. and Ms. Sowmya K.S. won Bronze Medal in Water Polo Competition and Ms. Prajusha N.M. won Silver Medal in Triple Jump and Long Jump events at the 38th National Games held at Guwahati.
- Advanced Diploma in Fashion Designing and Cosmetology introduced (for three years).
- Record and release of College Anthem.
- Purchase of a Mini-Bus with equal contribution by the PTA and the Management
- The First Campus film "Thuruthile Pavizhaputte'' produced.
- Dr. Sr. Jesme - hounoured with "Adharaneeyam Award'' ,150 Eminent Presonalities in the District by the Thrissur Pouravali
- A Two-day Photo Exhibition "Swathadhra Samara smrthi'' organized by the History Department
- Ms. Dhanya Shankar K.S-the first Keralite recipient of “RANK’ (Race for Awareness and Knowledge) - National Award organized jointly by AIR INDIA and MALAYALA MANORAMA
- “Vayalar P. Bhaskaran Music Competition”- District Level, for the College & High School Students
- A Four-day Campus Arise Camp in the College by Jesus Youth
- A Campus Film Festival Teen Reels for the College and High School students
- A District level Two-Day Youth Anti-alcoholic Camp in the College campus
- Dr. Sr. Rani George took charge as Principal
- Blessing of a new Computer Lab with 60 systems for BCA & M.Sc. Students
- Two-day UGC sponsored National Seminar on “Recent Developments in Polymer Science & Technology” organized by Dept. of Polymer Chemistry
- Two-day UGC sponsored National Workshop on “Bio-Fertilzer Production Technology” organized by the Dept. of Microbiology.
- Three-day UGC Sponsored National Seminar on “Eco -Technologies and Evergreen Revolution” organized by the Departments of Botany, Zoology & Bio-technology.
- New NCC Unit started
- Blessing of common Computer Lab and Internet Lab with 70 Systems
- Introduced Centralised Administration and Security System.
- Initiation of Free Internet facility to Staff and Students.
- Choice-based Credit Semester System (CCSS) is introduced in U.G. Programmes
- Started UGC-NET coaching in Mathematics, Computer Science & Life Science.
- Two-day History Exhibition on "Nammude Thrissur"
- Introduced Gem of St. Mary’s Competition for the best outgoing student by ELDER ST. MARIANS.
- Blessing and laying of the Foundation Stone of the New Hostel partially funded by UGC.
- Started add-on Course “Multimedia Communication”
- Signed the agreement of “Campus @ Microsoft”
- Installation of a new Generator of 82.5 KVA funded by UGC.
- Infra Structure developed by PTA:
- Installation ofSolar Water Heater of 1000 liters
- Water Purifier of 2 Units
- Biogas Plant
- Construction ofTruss Work on the top of Kalajyothi Building and Relaxation Bower
- Change of the mode of College Union Election from Presidential form to Parliamentary form
- Introduction of new College Timing - 8.30 a.m. to 3.15 p.m.
- Publication of the first Research Journal.
- Publication of the first Annual Newsletter “Reverie” by Alumnae.
- NAAC Peer Team Members visited and re-accredited the College with ‘A’ Grade.
Choice-based Credit Semester System (CCSS) is introduced in P.G. Programmes.
- Conversion of the existing Relaxation Bower to the Gym and Fitness Centre
- Construction of new Relaxation Bower near Gandhi Park
- Started add-on Courses 'Bio-informatics', 'Interior Designing and Architecture'.
- Demise of Rev. Sr. Bianca, former Principal.
- Total Quality Mangement (TQM) session given to the staff by the Mangement for ensuring excellence.
- A few of our staff and students participated in the International Youth Conference held at Rajagiri College, Kakkanad.
- UGC Sponsored Inter-disciplinary National Seminar organized by the Departments of Mathematics and Computer Science.
- Bought new plot of land (1.66 acres) for sports purposes
- First Sports Alumnae meeting to honour Ms. Prajusha M.
- Regularization of 3 unaided courses
BSc. Polymer Chemistry
- Installation of the HT Transformer by PTA
- Installation of Public Addressing System in 8 class rooms
- Blessing of the New Hostel & Shifting to the New Hostel.
- College Journal “Annals of Basic and Applied Science” - Recognised with ISSN 2277 - 8756
- IQAC National Seminar - “Quality Enhancement in Higher Education through Student Support and Progression.”
- Department of Mathematics is recognised as Research Centre by the University of Calicut.
- Guideship is given to Dr. Sr. Magie Jose and Dr. Parvathy K.S by Calicut University.
- Blessing and Inauguration of the Research Centre (Mathematics)
- Starting Sports Hostel with eight students
- Constructed New Seminar Hall
- Blessing of New Computer Lab with 75 systems
- Installation of New Generator 250 KVA funded by UGC
- College is registered under 12 B of Income Tax.
- Started new courses B.A. English, B.Com with Computer Application, M.A. Applied Economics and M.Sc. Psychology
- Changed B.Sc Polymer Chemistry to B.Sc. Chemistry without changing the subsidiaries
- Celebrated Diamond Jubilee of the Consecration of Our Lady’s Grotto.
- Reception of National Award Winner - Smt. Leela Varghese, our old student, by Thrissur Pouravali.
- Inter-Disciplinary National Seminar on “Thrissur - A Kaleidoscopic View” by the Departments of Social Sciences and Languages.
- Dr.Litty Mathew Irimpan was awarded “The Leading Scientists of the World - 2012 Award” by International Biographical Centre, England.
- UGC sponsored State Level Seminar on “Tools and Techniques of E-Governance for Ensuring Efficient Administration” by Administrative Staff of College.
- Smt.Anu D Alappat promoted to the Rank of Lieutenant.
- Add-on course “Communicative English” sponsored by UGC started.
- An endowment of Rs. 1,00,000 in honour of retiring Principal, Sr. Dr. Rani George was initiated by IQAC.
- Sr. Dr. Chrislin took charge as Principal
- St. Mary’s Square Outreach Sponsorship Project (SMC Square) – started in collaboration with SMCUP School, Chiyyaram meant for helping less privileged school going students.
- Sanctioned new courses M.Com, BSW, BBA
- Preliminary steps taken to introduce Digital Documentation Filing System (DDFS) in the College.
- Christmas celebration with little inmates of St.Anne’s Institute Thrissur.
- Sanctioned B.Voc, Msc Chemistry and Msc Botany courses.
- Inauguration of Chemistry Heritage Museum.
- Civil Service Orientation Programme organized in collaboration with Kerala Yuvajanakshema Board.
- A week long National Science Day celebration organized by Department of Chemistry.
- A 21 Day Residential Additional Skill Acquisition Programme (ASAP) organized in collaboration with ASAP, an initiative of the departments of Higher Education and General Education, Government of Kerala.
- College Databased Management System (CDMS) completed.
- National Skill Enhancement workshop for teachers on the topic ‘Digital Age Pedagogy – Perspectives and Prospects’ organized.
- Women Empowerment Programmes for local house wives .
- Computer Literacy Workshop. 2. Tailoring, organized during summer holidays.